Trogir is a town-museum in the very meaning of the word. Lovers of cultural and historical monuments, art, original architecture and nice alleys are given the opportunity in Trogir to learn about the manifold and complex heritage - from the Romanesque yard to the modern interiors. The unique historical core, Radovan's portal, the art collections which have been arousing excitement among visitors and travellers for centuries offer a tourist beauty, personified in the relief of Kairos as an appropriate souvenir. The wider surroundings of Trogir (Trogir - Seget - Ciovo Riviera) is characterized by lavish green vegetation, numerous islands and islets, rocky and pebble beaches. Apart from the high quality accommodation - hotels, boarding houses, apartments, campsites, delicious domestic food, fish dishes in par-ticular, the sports and recreation offer includes many opportunities - tennis, boccia, bowling, jogging, surfing school, diving. Entertainment includes lively fishermen's nights and folklore show but also classical music concerts in special scenic sets of the town.
Beaches around Trogir
Beaches there are gravel, sandy, rocky and, in order to make the approach to them easier, partly concrete. The most popular ones are:
The Pantan beach - 500 m long gravel and sandy beach with pine wood on its east side. It is 1,5 km far from the centre of Trogir. There is a beach bar "Mosquito" on the beach, situated direct beside the sea, with cold drinks, ice-cream and light food. The whole area is protected natural wildlife refuge with a beautiful water-mill Pantan on the north side of the beach.
The Okrug beach (in Okrug) - the most popular beach on Trogir's Riviera, 5 km far from the centre of Trogir. This two km long gravel beach is also called "Trogir's Copacabana". Many beach bars and few restaurants keep this place alive during the night.
The Kava beach (in Slatine) - it is situated on the end of the east side of Čiovo, 12 km far from the centre of Trogir, and it is one of unspoiled natural beauties. In order to get there, you have to pass through a village Slatine and drive little more than 4 km to the east along mostly gravel and, on some places, very rough road.
The Medena beach (in Seget) - 3 km ling gravel beach, surrounded by pine wood, and with a variety of sport offer. It is 4 km far from the centre of Trogir.
More than two millenniums of spectacular history has passed through a little island placed between two fertile hills and shores of island Ciovo. A long time ago it has been described by Illyrians, Greeks and Romans while founding a city, but continued by Croats, so Trogir developed to one of the most beautiful towns in Adriatic.
The Cathedral of Saint Lawrence, or Cathedral of Saint John, how it is called by the locals, was built on a position of an antic Greek temple. Building the cathedral begins in about year 1200, the southern portal was finished in 1213, and on the western portal master Radovan signs in 1240. Construction finished in XVI century, when the bell-tower was raised. The cathedral is the monument of the entire town, and of all the people who contributed its constuction.
The towns lodge (porch) is mentioned already in 1311, but in this shape it is put in the XV century during renaissance. The lodge is half-functional public object, a shelter and a gathering place, but also a court. The roof-carrying columns were brought from antic ruins; one column head is antic, while the rest of them are mediaeval. Above court tables are prominent renaissance reliefs and sculptures. In the lodge are some reliefs made by Nikola Firentinac and Ivan Mestrovic.
The Kamerlengo tower is placed on the south-west towns border ending the town walls a long time ago. The polygonal tower is somewhat older, dating from late XIV century. After Venecians coming at power the whole wall complex gets its final shape which looked the same as it does today. The fortress was built from 1420 until year 1437, and its purpose was billeting the military in a rebellious town. The name was gained from a Venecian clerk Kamerlengo.
The other monuments are Church of Saint Barbara (the oldest preserved church, a miniature basilica, restored in XI century, but build on grounds of an antic church dedicated to Saint Martin, with similar dimensions and appearance), Church of Saint Peter (used to belong to a women convict of the same name, dating from the XIII century), the Municipal's palace (XIII century), Church of Saint Mark (XV century) and Cipiko palace.